Barbecue Carrots With Yogurt And Pecans
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more
- 1 pound small carrots, scrubbed, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup pecans
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, plus more for serving
- Combine brown sugar, paprika, cumin, celery salt, granulated garlic, onion powder, cayenne, 1 Tbsp. salt, and 1 tsp. black pepper in a small bowl.
- Cook carrots in a large pot of boiling, generously salted water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain; transfer carrots to a medium bowl. Add oil and spice mixture and rub carrots to coat. Let sit at room temperature 1–3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toast pecans on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing once, until fragrant and slightly darkened, 10–15 minutes; let cool, then coarsely chop.
- Meanwhile, mix yogurt, buttermilk, dill, and 2 tsp. lemon juice in a small bowl; season dressing with salt and pepper.
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat. (Or, you can use a grill pan over medium-high.) Grill carrots, cut side down, until they are lightly charred and sugar begins to caramelize and bubble, about 3 minutes.
- Arrange carrots on a platter, drizzle with dressing and more lemon juice, and top with pecans